The Salsa Club’s goal is very simple: providing its members with dedicated instruction, space, and ample time to become the best dancers they can be. To achieve this The Salsa Club deviates from the popular convention of classifying dancers according to conventional grouping levels (“beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, or advanced”). Instead, a Namibian route is followed: tailor-made classes are provided to its members by classifying them according to the duration they have been dancing.
There are three class groups:
- Cuban Fury¹—for members with less than one year of dancing experience;
- Africando²—for members who have been dancing at the The Salsa Club for more than one year; and,
- Buena Vista Social Club³—for members who have been dancing at the studio for more than two years.
- Salsafrica—a mixed group class for all members regardless of dancing experience.
Despite having commenced their dancing journeys at different times, each group steers towards the same destination: dancing with confidence, rhythm, style, and grace. Each group is guided through The Salsa Club’s curriculum on a separate day; every class provides detailed instruction, reinforces the importance of technique, and provides plenty of practice time. The Salsa Club’s classes are imbued with the following principles:
- Dancers are made, not born—with patient instruction, everyone can learn how to dance.
- Technique and fun are inseparable aspects of movement-based learning.
- Dancing, like life, is all about participation and inclusion—no one is left behind on the dance floor; “where we go, we go together.”
All classes are offered in the evening from 18h30 to 20h30.
The Salsa Club has 50 memberships provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Older, dedicated members are given the chance to sign-up first. Each membership is a year-long. Members pay an all-inclusive fee of N$700 per person per month (members pay for the month, not per class).
Each membership provides:
- Two hours of classes per week (Cuban Fury, Africando, or Buena Vista Social Club) with salsa and bachata courses on offer;
- An optional one-hour open class (Salsafrica) which includes salsa shines, cha-cha, rueda de casino, and a host of other fun and interactive group dances; and,
- Access to an exclusive monthly social.
Memberships are only offered to adults (no under-18s). New members can only join if and when slots are available (when a membership has been vacated). Part-time or partial memberships are not offered.
Please note: The Salsa Club is not currently taking any new members.